Thursday, May 10, 2007

Road To Health and the ENT Doc.

So I am listening to 98.1 this morning and Tavis Smiley was on there promoting his, "Road to Health" tour sponsered by Kaiser Permanente. So he was calling off all of these random facts about health in the black and brown communities and it was extra disturbing to me. And it really wasn't anything new, it was just the fact that I guess I was listening to it on the moring commute not expecting to hear it. Except he lost me when he said that the black community has produced historically the best athletes yet they are the most unhealthy people... there is no correlation. Just because A does not mean B. Come on now Tavis. But seriously, it is so sad that black people are so unhealthy. And a lot of it is all about eating. Actually, I think all of it is all about eating. In the old days, black slaves had to eat things that were NOT supposed to be eaten because it was the only thing they were given. They were not given the more "healthy" parts of animals... naw naw... they were given the parts that white people refused to eat (uh lets see... chitlins, pig ears, feet, hamhocksm, gibblets all come to mind and more). That junk is not good for you... I don't care "how good it is"... it is not supposed to be consumed by humans. Blacks in the past ate this because they had to survive... but blacks now eat it because of tradition and it is making them unhealthy. It's all about this culture of good soul food... but man, you are becoming so unhealthy because of it.

It makes me think of the movie, "Soul Food". I had never thought about that movie until I watched a "Boondocks" episode where Riley goes to say how the movie was about a black family who ate alot of bad food. Then "big mama" got sick and died of all the things that black people usually die of and then the family kept the tradition alive by gathering every Sunday and eating the same food that probably contributed to big mama's demise.

I can't help but think that things that help instill a culture in black people are also killing us... hmmm. Think about it.....

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Before, one friend on EbonyFriends.com asked me to watch the movie soul food. The movie made me sad, the poor black people ate the food making them sick and dead.