Saturday, January 20, 2007

This is OUR country?? WTF??

I mentioned this in the last post and it made me start thinking I need to elaborate. I really don't like John Mellencamp's, "This is Our Country". At first, I didn't like it because I simply don't like country music and they played it at EVERY commercial break. Then I started not liking it because there are NO black people in that commercial. This is the middle-America thinking that I was talking about that I really don't like. Even the twang in this guys voice just screams out middle-American white person to me. And the fact that he is saying, "This is our country"... who's country exactly are you talking about? You obviously aren't talking about my country because I see no black people in that commercial. All I see are dirty hick ass looking people.

The fact that they are so adamant in saying, "This is our country" really offends me. So what are you trying to say? That it isn't my country too. I mean really. I just don't like the mentality. And why did they have to use the word, "DIXIE". They coulda said something else. I just did not like that.

Why did the FCC think that it was OK to put this commercial on the airwaves? No, there was no violence, sex or bad language in there... but to me, it was what wasn't there AND the fact that there were subtle messages in there.

This is like some underhanded white pride anthem that they tried to sneak in there... not having it. "and the ones who run this land" WTF does THAT mean??

1 comment:

Breena Ronan said...

We were just talking about that commercial in the class I TA. It's selling a weird whitewashed, country, masculine identity. That crap is wrong in so many ways.