Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Land of the Crazies

OK, so I have been working at my current job for six months now... and honestly, I love (or loved) it. Now that my buddy is gone, it has been a little more stressful... and I will tell why... NOW.

Ok, last Thursday, they got a temp to come in. Everytime someone new comes into the office, the HR manager (who is mad cool and chill) sends out a copy of their resume to everyone. So I am reading her resume and I notice that she has been working since 1992. Not bad, but I just take note that she is going to be a great deal older than me, since in 1992, I was in 2nd grade. Anyway, the second thing I notice is that she stated that she had some kind of a typing certificate. I didn't know exactly what that was, so I just left it alone.

That night, I was going to hang out with my boyfriend, so he picked me up from work. I was just telling him that I was sad to see my friend go and that a new lady would be coming in and that she might be old. Then I told him about the typing certificate, which he agreed was rather odd. Who does that.

Fast forward to Thursday,I come in and she is sitting at the front desk... formalities are exchanged and I put my stuff on my desk. I come back out to the reception desk* to speak with her and I notice there are pieces of paper all over the desk. Scratch that, not paper, but tissues. Long story short, that day did not go well... she said she self medicates, she leaves snotty rags everywhere, she is OCD and ADD and any other "D" you could possibly think of. She is a bonefide crazy lady. I can't even go into serious details right now because that would take up way too much typing.... and I do not have the time or energy to be worried about her more than I already am.

But all I am saying, is that there is something wrong when you are upwards of fifty and you are still working temp. Yes, I understand that some situations may require this, but being a permanent temp signals a problem. That means that no one wants to keep you around because of something you are doing. And I think I have a notion of what exactly that is. She has no freaking manners or social skills. Like I said, she leaves tissues everywhere and hawks all in public and blows her nose right next to people and every other nasty thing you could image. I told her she could eat her lunch at my desk since food is not allowed at the reception desk**. Anyway, so she left her nasty food on my desk and said she was saving it... just all in the open. She didn't even try to cover it up. And the social skills are lacking too... the lady has been there and she is trying to take things over. I mean seriously, relabeling stuff and everything, I had to lay the law down a couple of days about that. And she mocks people like when they have no relationship at all. It's BAD.

She has been a big pain... she doesn't follow directions and doesn't really have social skills. However, I feel bad for her because there is a reason that all of this occurs in her. I just don't understand what is lacking where people just aren't aware of what is going on around them

It is just overall not cool.

----
*Let me clarify by stating that I am in a Office Support/Research Support position, which means that I do preliminary research for the company as well as any administrative work if needed.
** I cover the front desk when she is at lunch and on break.

No comments: