Sunday, January 21, 2007

Rise

No, this is not a post about rising above oppression (although we must... lol) and this is not a post about the independent movie by Dave LaChapelle about LA krump dancing. This is about the song by the great trumpet player Herb Alpert.

This song is an absolute classic right here.... almost as much as Quincy Jones', "Tell Me A Bedtime Story". Biggie actually sampled HEAVY from this song for, "Hypnotize". The entire bassline actually. If that doesn't jog your memory... then it is the "Laura and Luke" song... I shouldn't have to explain anymore than that.

This saxophonist did a cover of it in 1998.. Leo Gandelman. He did it with this kinda party Brazilian flair and it is absolutely hotness. I've heard it before, but I could never find out who made it. But thanks to my nifty new radio, it tells who the artist is. I was just listening to KKSF on my way home from work and I heard it... GREATNESS. Not the same as Herb Alpert's, but it is still VERY good.

I always wonder why this song doesn't get any play. It's not on Rhapsody nor iTunes. Is it BECAUSE it is the "Laura and Luke" song and there might be some negative feelings attached to it? I just don't get it, this song has so much attitude and funk it's not funny.

1 comment:

Slager said...

I am commenting because as I am reading this post I have a Herb Alpert song stuck in my head. I don't quite know how I came across your blog, but I'm going to come back. Several times.