Saturday, January 13, 2007

'Round Midnight

Round Midnight, originally done by Thelonius Monk, is by far (in my humble opinion), the best jazz track ever to be laid down. Why? It isn't too complication in the fact that so many different instruments are going on, but it is still carries very complicated melodies.

The best version is MOS DEF Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants version. The Modern Jazz Giants combines my three favorite Jazz artists; John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Thelonius Monk himself. This version is just plain and simply sexy. That is the only word that I can use to describe it. It has a very high class sound to it that reminds me of old time clubs where people would dress up to the nines and stuff. Just straight class... that is what I imagine whenever I hear this song.

It is just absolutely beautiful.

No comments: