Saturday, February 10, 2007

Engaged and Underage

Ok.... a couple of days ago, a friend asked me if I was just too conscious... if I thought about everything consciously. My answer to that was yes.... his response was to ask if it made me too mad, and my answer is no. I find an issue... then discuss it or write it in my blog, then I dispose of it. So NO, I don't think that I am overly conscious about the world. Things bother me and I have to say them, so there. HMPH.

OK, so the title of the post. MTV has a show called, "Engaged and Underage" and I can't help but wonder if this is a bit socially irresponsible. Yes, the minimum age to be on the show is 18 and one can legally get married at 18 so there really shouldn't be a problem right? Yeah, wrong. I think there is a big problem. When you are 18, you are just a child. I don't care what experiences you've gone through or blah blah, you are still a child. There is no way at 18 to completely know oneself. Yes, it is true that some 30 or 50 or 70 year olds don't know themselves as well as they would like to, but there are more life experiences that come with age.

Anyway, my problem is that the show makes it seem OK for 18 year olds to be married. Although I am a proponent of "Doing You", I can't understand why someone would do this. And I am not just talking out of my behind because I only too well know the feelings that are going though their minds. At 20, I KNEW I wanted to get married to my boyfriend and he KNEW he wanted to get married to me. I mean convinced and there was no one who could tell me any different. I didn't really discuss it with anyone, but I knew that people didn't agree with it and I couldn't understand why. Now, I am 23 and I KNOW that would have been the biggest mistake ever. That doesn't mean that I don't love him, because I do, but it is not the right time. We aren't settled and don't know ourselves yet. Not the time.

To me, the show is saying, "People tell you you are too young to get married, well then eff em because these people did it so SO CAN YOU!!!" However as much as I am going off about the show... I can't stop watching it because it is so hilarious to me. Especially the Mexican chick and the black dude that were going to get married. They had this big ass immature ass blow out on the eve of their wedding, they treated each other like ish, yet they still got married. Or the two couples who lived in their parents guest house/ a trailer in their garage. WTF? This just proves these people aren't mature or stable to be getting married. GAAH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fuck off.