Wednesday, February 07, 2007

African American Interest Books

So I am in Barnes and Noble today just browsing passing time and I come upon the "African-American Interest" section. I was kind of confused about what I saw because the only books I saw were books relating to sex and violence. Now, had the title been African American Authors, there would be no problem BECAUSE the authors were African American. But African American INTEREST. Now, had there been other books in here like some Octavia Butler or Walter Mosely or something like that there wouldn't be an issue.

Now behind that "African American Interest" section, was a section that had non-fiction books by African American authors, but I can't remember. Where were the other countless authors who write fiction or science fiction... not just the Arabesque Romance authors?

I LOVE when I go into stores like Marcus Books (Bay Area regional black bookstores) and Karibu Books (DC regional black bookstores). They have such a variety of books by black authors... books you never would have seen in a mainstream store like Barnes and Noble or Borders. This is not to say that they don't have some, because they do, but not the assortment that I like.

Also, I am sooo proud to say that Karibu books actually has a STORE now in Pentagon City Mall... not just a little cart. The store was small yes, but it had lots of books... and not just sexually explicit books, books of substance. Making progress.

Don't forget to visit your local black bookstores... they needs the support.

No comments: