Sunday, October 28, 2007

Reflections on "That issue we like to keep under the carpet"

Now, I may be taking a risk by posting this next topic as I was trying to keep this blog as politically correct as possible, but I read a random post that really got me thinking (thanks DC Blogs). One of the ladies from a blog entitled "The View From Here" posted a post called, "Pretty Fly For A White Guy". It wasn't so much what the author wrote but more what the comments were. There were people who were seemingly upset that the author wrote what she did. The post was pretty much about if the author was to date a white man, what kind of white man he would have to be. Now, I am sure (I don't remember if I deleted the post where I discussed the survey done where Asian men and Black women were seen to be the most undesirable demographic) that other races say things like, "If I were to date a black women she would have to be Halle Berry" so what is wrong with this person putting her preferences out there? I'm just saying.

As black women, we are picked over and treated as undesirables so maybe when one of us lays out a checklist for someone else it is an issue? I'm just saying. Is it soo disconcerting that a black women would have some prerequisites for someone else? I am just tired of it...and it so shouldn't be an issue, but it still is.

I kept it pretty PC...I held back a lot, just know that.

No comments: