Saturday, October 20, 2007

Music Battle: Peter White v. Ken Navarro

Ok, so these are my two favorite jazz guitarists out there. They both play the nylon string acoustic guitar, yet they have two very different sounds. Loving them both though. The point of this post is just to show how much of a person's soul is put into the music/musicality and production. I mean, you can't just know how to play a musical instrument, I really has to be an extension of you. And I am sorry that I must harp on this person, but Kenny G. is a prime example. I feel like he knows how to play the sax, BUT he puts no feeling into it. He is not one with his instrument in my opinion. He just seems to put notes out there. But then again, I think a lot of his issue is his production and he seriously lacks musicality.

But back to the lecture at hand...Ken Navarro and Peter White both play from the soul and both sound so different to me. I guess it is the way they interpret the music and put certain sounds together. I love the way Ken Navarro tends to be kinda light and airey and plays from the higher registers and Peter White tends to be more in the lower registers with more of a slow haunting thump thumpness. (yes, I am aware it is not a word...no judgement thanks). But it is the same instrument...they just take it different places with that soul...that inner spirit. It really is a beautiful thing.

So since this is a versus post, I am going to have to go with Peter White...for the Nylon String Guitar Battle

Sidenote: Is it not a beautiful thing when two of your favorite artists get together and play? My favorite pianist and my favorite saxophonist (Keiko Matsui and Paul Taylor) used to play together. Better yet, Paul Taylor was Keiko Matsui's saxophonist, which probably explains why I like a lot of her music. The mix of the two styles is just superb...words cant even describe it.

No comments: