Saturday, October 27, 2007

Man Son Man

This is like what, my third Paul Taylor post in like the month, but I must give props to the new album, "Ladies Choice". At first I wasn't feeling it because half of the CD has singing on it and everyone knows that I do NOT like singing. However, on like the second listen, it really is rather hot. In all honesty. He chose just the right singers to showcase on the album. I think that is a big problem with a lot of instrumentalists that choose to put singers on their records, they chose "who's hot in the streets" NOT whose voice compliments the instrument they play. But Paul Taylor has alto-ish women singers (Regina Belle and Latoya London to name a few) that really complement his soprano sax. I think Boney James usually does a good job of picking the right vocalists too. It has GOT to add an element to the song, they CANNOT take over… or I'll throw the CD in the garbage.

Paul Taylor will always get raves from me though because he is one of the few people who can give me straight up goosebumps in 80 degree weather and whose musicality moves me to the point of tears almost. BUT there was one thing I was extremely disappointed with. Songs 1 and 2, Ladies Choice and I Want To Be Loved (By You) BOTH have the same opening. Like the very same opening. I was really upset by that. Maybe if they had moved the songs a couple of songs apart I would not have picked up on it, but they didn't and I was seriously disappointed.

No comments: