Saturday, December 01, 2007

Isn't It Ironic, Don't You Think?

OK maybe not ironic, but interesting nonetheless. Today, a year ago, I took my LSAT. Today, I am mailing out my resumes for summer employement. I wrote a post about this a while back, but I think it needs to be said again. Since about Junior year, I decided I wanted to go to law school, however, trying to study for the LSAT and run track (D1 traveling every week, don't get it twisted) and have a job and do school was a bit too much for me, so I waited. One day, while at a less than mediocre temp job (3 months after graduation), I decided, I was going to take the LSAT. It really just happened while I was browsing the internet. At this point it was September 1, 2006. I IMMEDIATLY signed up with Kaplan to take an exam prep course that started September 13, 2006. At this point, I had NO recommendations, NO personal statement, NO idea of where I wanted to apply. To make a long story short, I got all of that together in a period of three in a half months... when in actuality, the career councelors want to tell people you should take a year to a year and a half with the process. None of my stuff was half done, none of my stuff was rushed.

So basically, I'm just saying if you want to do something DO IT and don't listen to what anyone tells you. It just requires a bit of hard work. In the year and a half that they told me I should take to prepare, I; studied and did WELL on the LSAT, wrote personal statement, got recommendations, visited schools, got accepted to 9 out of 10 schools I applied to (and what's funny, I got waitlisted at AMERICAN, WTF... they are ranked 48!!!), moved across the country, started law school, and now I am about to take my first set of exams.

And no, this is not a self important post, I just want people to know it can be done. It doesnt have to be done the way they tell you. You do it the best way you know how and the best way you can.

No comments: