Sunday, December 09, 2007

Black Enough?

So, I turn on the TV this morning (yes, I had the TV on, but I had to record my shows so I COULD study...dang) and it was on, "Meet the Faith" on BET. They were having an interesting conversation as to being black enough. They had two "passe blanc" black people and two dark black people trying to have a conversation about being black. Now, granted, some of the comments were a bit off.. but I think they had some valid points. Made me think of some things;

Why was there even an issue when Obama announced his bid for presidency, why did people even ask if he was black enough? WTF, so why couldn't he have gone to Columbia and Harvard and still be black? I mean come on! He has a black wife! Just because he did not grow up in the streets do not mean he is not black. So irritating.

So then they were talking, and there was this dark dude talking about how lightskinned people take advantage of black people and how they treat black people as inferior. So the host (fine Ian Smith) asked him if he's ever dated a white or light skinned woman. Why did this fool say, "Hell Yeah. Like Kanye West said, we like mutts". WTF. How are you going to be saying all this ish and then turn around and are a product of it yourself?

Which got me thinking to myself. I have serious to severe color issues. Going to an all white school where you are the only black person in your class will kinda do that to you. I'm not saying that my color complex is justified, maybe excused (you criminal law heads will understand that), but it is what it is... Anyway, In the all of my 23 years, I don't think I've had a close lightskinned friend. Honestly. And it's not because I don't like skinned people, I just a have never had a tight tight girl friend that wasn't dark skinned. Now is this purposeful? I don't know. Is it a subconscious thing? Or is it manifested through something else? Who could know. Seriously though, my lightest skinned friend is my mom. LOL. I don't know if it is because I somehow don't feel connected, or because I don't give them a chance, I just don't know. Or maybe I am resentful because that is what mainstream TV shows as beautiful and I am putting my frustrations out on them. Who knows.

Back to studying.

No comments: