Sunday, January 20, 2008

The New Smooth Jazz

I read some article a couple of months ago where someone was upset about smooth jazz being called Jazz, because it is not or something. And then they went on to say how most Smooth Jazz artists are white, which further explains why it isn't jazz. UM how bout.....NOOOOOOOO.

Yeah I am going to have to write something about this. STFW if most of the Smooth Jazz people are white... they be GETTING IT. I am sooooo sorry. Music is supposed to evolve, it is not supposed to stay static. Last week when I was in New Orleans, some people went to see a brass band and one of my friends was like, "I had no that was considered Jazz". Yes people, Jazz isn't just Miles Davis or John Coltrane or Dizzy or Kenny G or Euge Groove or Dave Koz or Keiko Matsui or Tito Puente or Gato Barbiere. It is ALL OF THIS AND MORE and there is nothing wrong with that.

Here is another thing that really gets my blood boiling. Why do people always want to classify Keiko Matsui as New Age? Yes, granted MOST of her albums have been New Age, but Moyo was a straight up Jazz album, yet people still classify it as New Age? Are people scared to classify her as that because she is an Asian woman? What's really good?

By the way, the smooth jazz cruise is this weekend...why am I not there? Oh yes, I forgot, law school....

Actually, what sparked this post was I am listening to Brian Simpson, and I have got to say I love this man. Not the same love as Paul Taylor, Keiko Matsui, or Philippe Saisse (maybe even Paul Hardcastle), but he is close. He is getting it right now. It's not a new CD, but I'm in Austin so I don't have a jazz station. Above the Clouds is a 11 track CD and I can listen to the whole thing straight through. There are no throw away of filler tracks on here (well I don't particularly like #2, I don't like that hyper type music, and I listen to Fiona's Song as it is too many different people in it...lol.)

But yeah, he used to be piano man for Dave Koz (which could explain why Dave sounds so good...not taking anything away from him). Seriously though, part of the reason Keiko Matsui's later albums sounded so good was because Paul Taylor was her saxophonist. Anyway, Brian Simpson is now on the list for favorite "smooth jazz" pianists. So far I think our list is as follows;

1. Keiko Matsui
2. Philippe Saisse
3. Paul Hardcastle
4. Brian Culbertson
5. Brian Simpson
6. Euge Groove
7. Jeff Lorber
8. David Benoit


I consider myself an AVID jazz lover, and 95 percent of my favorite jazz artists aren't black. It is what it is. They are doing it UP, so I think people just need to accept it for what it is. Loving it!

No comments: