Friday, January 04, 2008

Ledisi v. Fantasia

This may turn into a slight irritation post although I hope it doesnt. So yesterday I went to Yoshi's to see Ledisi. I'm trying to figure out why she got a Grammy nomination for "Best New Artist". I mean, I've been listening to her since high school, and she was out even before that. I mean honestly. I think it is quite rediculous that people just started appreciating her. She is such a rare talent, and because she is not skinny, light, or partcularly "pretty" it took her 12 years to get the recognition she deserves.

I mean when you sound better LIVE than you do on the CD, that is crazy. Her voice control is amazing, she's a great performer and you can tell she is overall a genuine person.

Anyhoo, while I was listening to the concert, I realized something. Fantasia sounds like a 87x worse Ledisi. All that mess that Fantasia be doing and the end of her songs is supposed to be scatting. I kinda just realized that. Ledisi does it too, but hers actually sounds like scatting. She is really just a talent and I am glad that she is getting recognition.

By the way, I dont even like vocalists (especially women).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually love both artists. Fantasia is amazingly talented and so is Ledisi, I don't understand why people feel the need to put down one artist to give another props. Ledisi actually said she'd love to work with Fantasia. So, in the future lets try to uplift our black artists, they need it.

Jumping said...

While I respect your opinion, I am going to ask you to respect mine. I simply don't like Fantasia...music is subjective. I was simply making a comparison to similar styles. I have also written many other posts that I call, "Music Battles". It's what I do.

Thanks for your opinion though!