Sunday, November 11, 2007

That Sinking Feeling

So, it's after November 1, which means that 1l's can start looking for jobs. As much as I try to fight it, I am having that very same feeling that I was having less than a year ago... I am trying really hard to keep positive, but I can't. It's like the SAME feeling. Last year, I was not worried about my LSAT score, I knew I had that under control, but I was worried about my resume and my personal statement. Right now, I am not worried about my finals or what my grades will come out to be...I am worried about my resume and my cover letter.

It really sucks when you have done soooo much and achieved so much in a particular field and have nothing to show for it. I mean, I'm pretty sure that the hiring partners and recruitment coordinators won't care that instead of spending my summers doing internships, I was competing in track meets nationwide. I am sure that they don't care that although my GPA was only a 3.4, I managed to graduate in 4 years even though I transferred schools and lost about 10 credits AND ran track AND had a job to boot. Actually, it's not that they won't care, it's the fact that they won't even take the time to search that out... which is what really sucks.

I mean honestly, I just don't feel like people understand what it means and how hard it is to be a student-athlete (well one that actually cares about the student part anyway). I had to give up interning for people And the thing of it is... I did not run track at some D3 school... no, I ran track in a D1, PAC-10 school. What I went through was real. It was not some activity. I had the chance to go pro, BUT I didn't. I put that aside to go to law school, because even though my lack of internships might not show, THIS was my number one dream. But no... no hiring partner is going to look at that...

No comments: