Saturday, December 09, 2006

You are extra not icey... thanks.

Music SERIOUSLY isn't what it used to be. And when I say "used to be", I don't mean 20 years ago (although I do mean that too), but just 4 or 5 years ago. So I am in the car, and "One Mic" comes on. This was only 5 years ago, but listen to this and listen to the junk that is on the radio today. Nas was actually saying things.... good and important things. And it isn't just what he was saying, but HOW he was saying this. I remember listening to this song in Senior physics class and talking to my friend about how this album was the best album ever, why... because it was deep to us. Fast forward 5 years which brings us to today... people like Nas are seriously no more. I mean you have your occasional record from Lupe Fiasco, maybe Talib Kweli, and Asheru.... but most of the junk is rapping about how tight someones bitch is... I mean really. Let's get it together.

The reason I decided to write this is because I heard that Young Jeezy, was on some radio station in Phily talking about how Nas is weak and hip hop is not dead. My whole take on it... Young Jeezy, trying to act like he is educated and knowledgable, got caught off guard and somehow worked his way into an argument where he started to equate hip-hop with music made by black people. Just because a black person makes a record and it is over a beat does NOT mean that it is hip-hop. According to my all time favorite resource... WIKIPEDIA... that is not hip hop. Young Jeezy said that because he has "street cred" (WTF!!!???) and Nas doesnt... Nas really isn't hip hop. OK, so you were a "Snowman" so you are more hip hop than one of the best artists in the hip hop genre. Give me a freaking break. Be real with your life.

No comments: