Saturday, June 07, 2008

Do You Want Me To Be Inside?

You've got that body and I wanna ride with you babe...you.

From Boney James feat. Jaheim... Ride. I loved this song when it came out about 5 or so years ago, but I recently heard it on the radio. This song gets it son. Sorry, it just does. Actually Boney James has gotten it since about 1998, but I kinda got tired of him because all of his stuff started to sound the same. Boneyard and Grand Central are good choices as well.

Now, for some reason, I am hearing his stuff a bit more (oh I know why, because I am back in the bay area and we actually have a jazz station here) and I just remembered how tough he gets it.

Take for instance, Pure. Freaking great song. That would be a song you listen to when you are driving down a coast, just chill. And to be honest, he isnt' the greatest saxaphonist, and yes he is very commercial, but it is he beats and compososition that set him apart.

You know what lets just do this for the heck of it. Imma post my favorite song from each album. Shoo I already started to.

So lets move on to Shine, which was his last album and admittedly I was not feeling this album. He had two good ones, Hypnotic with George Benson and In The Rain with Dwele. This song reminds me of the Starbucks on Center and Oxford...studying for the LSAT... very boo. Still a good song though.

Now Shake it Up with Rick Braun. There were actually a couple that I really liked on here. Grazing in the Grass has been done so much and they really didn't add anything to it. But RSVP was kinda hot on the other hand. Once again it is the programming and composition.

So Body Language was probably may favorite or second favorite of his albums. You can almost play this one straight through. Let's start with Are You Ready. I like this one because it is softer and smoother than a lot of his stuff, but it still gets it. It does sound a bit like Kenny G. at times, but the beats kill that notion quick. The title track Body Language gets it on so many levels. If this song is not sexy, I don't know what is. Like for real. Oh wee... Now Bedtime Stories. From the very first beats you are entranced. Just gives you chills. All the rest are solid.

Sweet Thing was the first Boney James CD I bought in 9th grade. Good memories. The first three are the best. The rest is solid. Words (unpoken) is hauntingly good.

Yeah, going through this list of CD's I do see how someone might say that Boney started to get unoriginal and uninspired. When we get to Seduction, it is kinda clear. The title track is like everything I said about all the other songs wrapped up into one. Camoflauge and Sara Smile are solid as well.

Is it wrong that I have never heard any of the songs from Trust? Maybe because I could never find it.

Backbone was OK, but probably my least favorite. I liked Just Between Us and thats about it. I love the way the soprano and alto saxes, "talk" to each other. Kinda Hot.

Woo, that just took me back.! Good stuff. I'm glad Smooth Jazz is not dying like hip hop and R&B are. Thanks guys

No comments: