Monday, March 03, 2008

The Law School Machine

Law School sucks. I'm sorry it does. I know that when I get through with it, it will be worth it, but for the interim. It sucks. Let me tell you why.

I went into law school KNOWING that I wanted to work in Civil Rights, Education Law or some other public interest area. Three months into my law school experiance, my mind somehow miraculously changed to CORPORATE LAW. Yeah I mean I NEVER wanted to do this, but somehow this was now my new passion. Why? Some of it was because of peer pressure and most of it was from people who were technically not my peers. I mean teachers, and career counselors give it the most.

Anyway, after spending approx 100 dollars on sending my resumes out and such and going to firm receptions and interviews and such...I realized that working 65 plus hours a week and having nannies for my kids was not for me. Oh yeah, and having to straighten my hair...that's just killed it for me. After I had this realization, I got some blonde braids and decided to do soemthing in the public sector over the summer for the first half and then do summer school for the second semester. Please tell me why people have asked, "Oh, you didnt get a firm job"? It's called I turned them down, how about it?

Also, peers... yeah I had to get a whole new set of friends. I realized that I hung out with the most self absorbed and pretentious people known to man. I mean its OK if you want to go into corporate, but do not put others (me) down because I don't want to. That's just rude.

So my top advice to anyone who is considering this is serious. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO:

1. Peer pressure in law school is about 765x worse than in high school. Get ready for it.

2. Stick to your guns about what you want to do

3. Go to a school in an area that you actually want to practice law. You will be making all of your professional contacts there, so yeah... you might actually want a job there... I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THIS

4. Get to know as many people as you can (in your law school)... go to the events... its always good to know people

5. Start hardcore studying about a month and a half before your first final

6. Study with people... but with people who will a. actually study b. contribute c. value you and your opinions

7. BY A PROTECTIVE SCREEN SHIELD... people will look at your notes in class and end up looking at your gchat convo's.... NOT COOL

No comments: