Saturday, July 26, 2008

Twilight

So yes, like I thought, I have rave reviews for "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyers. Grrrrreat book. Now which one is better? The Sookie books or the Bella books? I actually don't think they can be compared. Charlaine Harris writes her books for adults so sometimes there are gratuitous relations scenes and it is written in a bit more of a comical twist. I mean she is no Anita Blake with the nastyness, but there is some. Now Stephanie Meyers is written toward the young adult audience so there are no serious relations scenes or anything like that.

But the main difference is the straight up emotion. I'm talking you actually feel for these characters. You feel how much Bella needs Edward and you can feel the pull and push factors that Edward has toward Bella. Seriously though, it is almost heartwrenching.

For instance, I started on "New Moon" last night (actually, Im around 1/3 done with the book in a sitting)... and the the third chapter had me kind of upset. When he left her, I was kinda upset, and then when they had the 4 pages with the months and nothing on it... I just got kinda sad. LOL. I mean that was genius right there.

I also think part of the difference between the two books is that nature of the vampires in the two books. In the Sookie books, the vamps are out and everyone knows about them. In the Bella books, they are not out and only a few select people, including Bella and the weres know about them. Also, the vamps in the Bella books seem to be a bit more ravenous too. Any trace of blood sets them off.

Anyway, if you like vampire books like the Sookie books, then the Bella books would be a good choice. But if you read vampire books for the carnal relations, don't read it... this is nothing like Anita Blake (or so I hear cuz I refuse to read her)

No comments: