Monday, February 16, 2009

The Wonderfulness that is the Rippingtons

I am an outspoken fan of The Rippingtons. I have only been a fan for about a year now (I found them on Pandora... thank you Pandora). I mean I had heard of them before, but I really only heard the stuff they play on the radio (and we all know the mainstream stuff is never edgy like it should be).

Anyway, I know I have other articles on here about them, but I have to... sorry. I mean, seriously, Russ Freeman can cut up with a guitar man. He be killing it man. So mad at myself I didn't see them this summer...but I went to go see Keiko Matsui the week earlier so I should calm myself.

Their music is just so complex. I like many other people hear music in layers. I can go through one song just concentrating on the bass, or the piano, or the guitar. Point being is that there are so many different instruments with the Rippingtons and so many melody and rhythme changes... you will never be bored. Then when they added Jeff Kashiwa...man.

I also think it is so funny how a lot of their CD's were made in the 80's (Moonlighting was made in 1987 when I was 3), but they still sound fresh today. I am sure in the 90's people might have been tired of that type of music, but it is almost like it is making its comeback.Cannot wait until the new CD comes out in March. Hopefully they will come to the Bay Area this summer again. I would appreciate that.

BTW...Russ Freeman absolutly kills the end of Cicada from about 4:38 on. That is artistry man. Beautiful.

No comments: